In response to the COVID-19 changes in grading policy (“P” grades), Media Studies has modified its major application requirements temporarily – please click here to view the modified application requirements.
Media Studies Application Packets – Spring/Summer 2021
- Standard Application – Packet A*
- Application Periods:
- January 5, 2021 – April 30, 2021
- June 1, 2021 – August 17, 2021
- Appeal Application
- Application Periods:
- January 12, 2021 – January 29, 2021
- February 22, 2021 – February 26, 2021
- Application Periods:
- Standard Application Packet B*
- Application Period:
- August 18, 2021 – November 30, 2021
- Appeal Application Packet
- Application Periods
- August 18, 2021 – September 3, 2021
- September 27, 2021 – October 1, 2021
Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. on the final date in each period above. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
*Please note the 2021 Standard Application Packet A reflects the Media Studies program COVID modified application requirements of a 3.0 major application GPA and the waiving of a minimum grade of B- or better for Media Studies 10, N10, or W10. Students who apply to the major August 18th or later will submit Packet B and will be held to the standard Media Studies Program application requirements of a B- or better in Media Studies 10 and a 3.2 major GPA. Packet B will be posted in June, along with the Fall 2021 application periods.
You are eligible to apply to Media Studies after you have completed:
(a) Media Studies 10 (or equivalent*) for a letter grade.
(b) at least two of the remaining three prerequisites. The fourth prerequisite may be in progress at the time of your application; it must be successfully completed by the end of the term in which you apply.
If you have not fulfilled these requirements, you are not eligible to apply. You have only one opportunity to apply to Media Studies. Admission decisions are final.
*PLEASE NOTE: Beginning in Fall 2020, all students planning to declare the Media Studies major MUST complete Media Studies 10, W10, or N10 at UC Berkeley.
* PLEASE NOTE: Beginning in Fall 2021, students must earn a B- or better in Media Studies 10. See Standard Application below.
There are two types of applications:
(1) Standard Application
Students who meet the following criteria can submit a Standard Application:
- You have completed Media Studies 10 (or equivalent) and at least 2 of the 3 remaining prerequisites.
- You have completed 70 or fewer units (excluding AP units, community college units earned while in high school or excess P.E. units–over four–earned at Cal) at the time of application to the major if you began UC Berkeley as a freshman or are applying during your first two semesters at UC Berkeley if you are a transfer student.
- You have a minimum GPA of 3.2 in courses applicable to the major. This includes lower division prerequisite and methods courses, upper division electives and the equivalency of transferred course work. Core courses–Media Studies 111/112/113–are to be taken after Media Studies 10 has been completed. If any core courses are completed before applying to the major, the grades for those courses will be included in the application GPA.
- Beginning in fall 2021, you must have earned a B- or better in Media Studies 10 (or equivalent). This does not apply to spring 2021 major applicants and begins with fall 2021 major applicants.
(2) Appeal Application
If you have completed more than 70 units/are a transfer student in your third semester or more, have less than a B- in Media Studies 10* and/or have less than a 3.2 GPA in Media Studies courses, you will need to submit an Appeal Application. An Appeal Application includes the standard application forms along with a cover letter regarding interest in the major and reason appeal is necessary. Additional documentation may be requested if needed. Appeal applications are reviewed by the faculty.
Standard applications to the major are accepted year-round, except for in May and December. Appeal applications to the major are accepted in the fall and spring semesters, not during the summer; there are two appeal application periods each semester. Students are encouraged to apply during the first application period after meeting eligibility requirements. Application packets are available on the Media Studies home page and on the bulletin board outside the Media Studies office, 239 Evans Hall. See the application packets for additional details.